“Over time we’ve all developed this consensus that we watch Keanu performances in certain ways. We didn’t realize at the time that we had to watch them that way, but now we can see where he’s acting and when he’s not acting!”
– “The Watcher“
Recent TEX eps:
- “The Golden State Killer”
- “Congress Broke the Internet.”
- “The Disappearance of Gabby Petito”
- “Chappelle’s Show(down with the trans community)”
Conventions & Panels!
Look at this mine art!
- 2021: Did a webinar with Indonesia-based WanderVoice on cancel culture!
- 2020: Moderated Nightstream Horror Fest’s “Horror Stories” panel with brilliant writers like Tananarive Due.
- 2019: Appeared on a wonderful internet culture panelat NYU’s School of Journalism!
- 2019: Conversation with Snap Lab’s Katie Babineau at the Decoded Future Summit
- 2019: Moderated the “Unearthing Culture” panel at Original Thinkers in Telluride — which took place in a mine!
- 2018: Appeared on Zimbio’s fandom shipping panel at Fandemic Tour Sacramento
- 2018: Was honored to serve as a True/False provocateur
- 2017: Appeared on Drunk Education’s Final Girls panel for Brooklyn Horror Film Fest, repping for Black Christmas!
- 2016: Returned to Comic-Con’s queer horror panel!
- 2016: Did six panels about Harry Potter and fandom at Leviosa in Las Vegas!
- 2016: Organized the SXSW Interactive panel “Flail or Fail: Marketing to Fandom.” Listen to it here!
- 2015: Modded Mad Max panel for Dragon Con’s apocalypse track! Check out the video!
- 2015, Comic-Con, panelist, The Gay Agenda in Horror: Terrifying Subtext. Hear a podcast about it or read a writeup!
- 2015, guest-lectured at Princeton for Prof. Anne Jamison’s English course in fandom history!
- 2014, Geek Girl Con: moderated panels on modern slash fandom and putting fandom skills on your resume!
- 2014, Dragon Con: “Future of Harry Potter,” YA track panel
- 2014: Hosted an evening with Orlando Jones at Tumblr Headquarters!
- 2013: YALSA YA literature symposium, panelist on “Fandom and the Teen World”
- 2012, Ascendio: moderated “Out of the Closet: Slash in the Third Wave” with Cat Tosenberger.
- 2010, Infinitus: moderated “FTW or Made of Fail: Real Life Issues in Fiction”
- 2007, Phoenix Rising: moderated “Shipping the Velvet” panel on slash shipping featuring Henry Jenkins; edited a short documentary on post-Katrina New Orleans with Erica George.
- 2007, Ikasucon: moderated panel/discussion on BL/yaoi.
- 2003, Nimbus 2003: moderated “Resolved: Can Draco Malfoy Be Redeemed?” and then spontaneously sat in on the slash panel.
I’ve done lots of interviews over the years and I am putting them all here, so we can all listen to my melodious Southern-Midwestern accent!
Was honored to co-write and host this short 2020 documentary for BBC Radio 4 exploring how Harry Potter fans are responding to JK Rowling’s transphobia .
Vox’s Today, Explained
Have appeared on many eps of this fantastic series, including:
- The Deep Fake — explaining deepfake technology and the rise of celebrity porn manipulation on Reddit)
- “Congress Just Broke the Internet” — a rundown on the dire implications of FOSTA-SESTA for the internet
- “Golden State Killer Opens Pandora’s Box.” A true campfire story about a notorious serial killer.
- “Delete your account.” In which I explain why internet trolls pursued James Gunn and Sarah Jeong in 2018.
- “Tumblr’s war on sex.” Why Tumblr’s adult content ban is about so much more than just porn.
- “OK Boomer” — Why the “OK Boomer” meme is not at all the dismissive ageist retort it’s been branded.
- “The Disappearance of Gabby Petito” — discussing why this tragic case was everywhere, and why it matters
- “Chappelle’s Show(down with the trans community)” — walking you through the controversy over Dave Chappelle
Vox’s Tell Me More:
Appeared on several episodes, including:
- Cancel culture, canceled: explaining recent developments in cancel culture hysteria
- K-Pop is Everywhere but on the radio: explaining why K-pop is everywhere but on the radio!
- Why Satanic Panic never really ended, discussing QAnon, conspiracies, Lil Nas X, and the Satanic Panic hysteria
TV, radio, podcast interviews, etc:
- Chatted with Ali Wentworth about cancel culture for her Shondaland podcast Go Ask Ali
- DiscussedSquid Gamefor the Korean Broadcasting System
- Spoke to the Daily Dive about the Horror Century
- Spoke to Brian Lehrer on WNYC about the Horror Century
- Appeared in HBO’s Monica Lewinsky -produced cancel culture documentary, 15 Minutes of Shame
- Talked to Times Radio about Korean culture
- Talked to BBC’s Front Row about BTS
- Spoke toBuzzfeed Daily re: Jeopardy!
- Chatted about BTS with Connecticut Public Radio
- Did a wonderful call-in show about K-pop with WPR!
- Spoke to Vice UK’s Justice seriesabout cancel culture
- Discussed the controversy over Cuties with The Only Podcast About Movies
- Appeared on All Things Considered to discuss Netflix’s social media reality show The Circle
- Appeared on CBS News to discuss the implosion of the Romance Writers of America
- Appeared on Central Ave to discuss voice acting and racism
- Discussed Lovecraft Country with The 21st
- Spoke to The Conversationalist about “OK, Boomer”
- Vox’s Reset: Appeared on Recode’s tech culture podcast to discussthe fallout of FOSTA-SESTA in the year since it passed. (Pair with the Today, Explained episode!)
- Decoder Ring: “The Johnlock Conspiracy.” I was so happy to discuss the Johnlock Conspiracy with host Willa Paskin.
- Discussed cancel culture on The Cincinnati Edition
- Vox’s Worldly: “Understanding the New Zealand Attack.” Features my breakdown on the role memes played in the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto.
- Discussed the history of Friday the 13th with KPFA Radio.
- Discussed the Manson Family murders and legacy with Connecticut Public Radio.
- Other numerous radio spots over the years discussing everything from Gamergate to Net Neutrality on Portland’s XRAY.FM, to meme culture on BBC Trending, and Stranger Things on Viewpoints; guested on SiriusXM Insight to discuss horror for Halloween
Other podcast appearances:
- Chatted with Eye of a Duck about Silence of the Lambs
- Cool Breeze Over the Mountains: I was so happy to appear numerous times on this wonderful podcast celebrating Keanu Reeves, discussing “The Watcher,” “Constantine, ” “The Lake House,” and “Replicas.”
- I discussed my harrowing experience battling a cult in college with the Corpus Delicti podcast!
- I’m Shaping Opinion: “Remembering AIM.” Dropped in to about the demise of AOL Instant Messenger, and the bygone time of intimacy on the internet before social media.
- Empty Frames: “Shredding Banksy.” Had a great chat with Tim and Lance about Banksy and modern art!
- It’s All Fine. Chatted with Allison about my fandom loves, firstInception, and then The Untamed.
- Fansplaining: “Real Person Fiction.” Hung out with good friends for a chat about one of my favorite modes of fanfic.
- Genuinely Obsessed: Sat down with my Kaleidotrope co-creator EGT for a lovely interview with our fan Sarah about our podcast! <333 It’s in two parts: Part One and Part Two
- Alien Minute: Participated in a wonderful discussion about Bill Paxton’s “squad of ultimate badasses” scene!
- Gobbledygeek: “Two Is the Magic Number.” Joined this fabulous podcast to discuss Hitchcock’s Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt.
- Character Reveal: “All the Fandom with Aja.” I loved this conversation with Dom and Steph about fandom, journalism, and so much more!
- Women in Caskets: “ The Gay Killer Strikes Again (and again).” Discussed my favorite horror trope.
- Fangirl Happy Hour: “Happy Anniversary, Inception!” Had this great chat with my girls Ana and Renay to discuss the most amazing fandom ever. <3
- 2012–2013: co-hostedFandomspotting with a rotating number of guests. We were awesome. <3 My favorite episodes includethe Lizzie Bennet ep, theJames Bond ep, our wake for LiveJournal, and our epic two-part Les Miserables session, Jam ValJean part 1 and part 2
- My Favorite Murder 2018 Halloween Live Show. I wasn’t actually on this episode, but Karen and Georgia built an entire MFM segment around my Satanic Panic explainer, and I got a hilarious and amazing shoutout. Segment starts about 25 minutes in.
- Redwing: I had a bit part as a Southern magical creature caretaker in this stellar noir superhero audio drama!
Guest contributions and other public appearances:
- 2020: Contributed to A Tumblr Book: Platforms and Cultures from the University of Michigan press
- 2017 roundtable on Tumblr and Fandomfor the Journal of Transformative Works and Cultures!
- 2017 roundtable on the intersection of fandom and the media with Ivan Askwith and Britta Lundin for the Routledge Companion to Media Fandom, edited by Suzanne Scott