Can I Still Read Harry Potter?
I was honored to co-write and host this short 2020 documentary for BBC Radio 4 exploring how Harry Potter fans are responding to JK Rowling’s transphobia .
Vox’s Today, Explained
- The Deep Fake — explaining deepfake technology and the rise of celebrity porn manipulation on Reddit)
- “Congress Just Broke the Internet” — a rundown on the dire implications of FOSTA-SESTA for the internet
- “Golden State Killer Opens Pandora’s Box.” A true campfire story about a notorious serial killer.
- “Delete your account.” In which I explain why internet trolls pursued James Gunn and Sarah Jeong in 2018.
- “Tumblr’s war on sex.” Why Tumblr’s adult content ban is about so much more than just porn.
- “OK Boomer” — Why the “OK Boomer” meme is not at all the dismissive ageist retort it’s been branded.
- “The Disappearance of Gabby Petito” — discussing why this tragic case was everywhere, and why it matters
- “Chappelle’s Show(down with the trans community)” — walking you through the controversy over Dave Chappelle
Vox’s Tell Me More:
- Cancel culture, canceled: explaining recent developments in cancel culture hysteria
- K-Pop is Everywhere but on the radio: explaining why K-pop is everywhere but on the radio!
- Why Satanic Panic never really ended, discussing QAnon, conspiracies, Lil Nas X, and the Satanic Panic hysteria
TV, radio, podcast interviews, etc:
- Reunited with my BBC producer Sam Peach for a segment on the word “woke” and its evolution.
- Trust Me: joined this fantastic podcast exploring cults and the psychology behind them for an episode on conspiracies, Satanic Panic, and my own personal experience battling a cult.
- Joined Texas Public Radio for an invigorating call-in discussion about the ethics of true crime.
- Popped round to BBC World to talk House of the Dragon!
- Chatted with the CBC’s Day 6 about Satanic Panic and the latest season of Stranger Things!
- Had a great time on Pop Cultured with The Skimm discussing comedy’s existential crisis.
- Spoke to Art for the End Times about J.K. Rowling.
- Had a really amazing chat with the Name 3 Songs podcast, a feminist fandom and pop culture podcast, about the Depp-Heard trial and its larger implications for culture. A really wide-ranging conversation touching on just about every aspect of my complex and wide-ranging beat.
- Appeared on The Laura Coates Show on Sirius FM to discuss the dynamics of public protest.
- Chatted with Ali Wentworth about cancel culture for her Shondaland podcast Go Ask Ali
- Discussed Squid Game for the Korean Broadcasting System
- Spoke to the Daily Dive about the Horror Century
- Spoke to Brian Lehrer on WNYC about the Horror Century
- Appeared in HBO’s Monica Lewinsky -produced cancel culture documentary, 15 Minutes of Shame
- Talked to Times Radio about Korean culture
- Talked to BBC’s Front Row about BTS
- Spoke to Buzzfeed Daily re: Jeopardy!
- Chatted about BTS with Connecticut Public Radio
- Did a wonderful call-in show about K-pop with WPR!
- Spoke to Vice UK’s Justice seriesabout cancel culture
- Discussed the controversy over Cuties with The Only Podcast About Movies
- Appeared on All Things Considered to discuss Netflix’s social media reality show The Circle
- Appeared on CBS News to discuss the implosion of the Romance Writers of America
- Appeared on Central Ave to discuss voice acting and racism
- Discussed Lovecraft Country with The 21st
- Spoke to The Conversationalist about “OK, Boomer”
- Vox’s Reset: Appeared on Recode’s tech culture podcast to discussthe fallout of FOSTA-SESTA in the year since it passed. (Pair with the Today, Explained episode!)
- Decoder Ring: “The Johnlock Conspiracy.” I was so happy to discuss the Johnlock Conspiracy with host Willa Paskin.
- Discussed cancel culture on The Cincinnati Edition
- Vox’s Worldly: “Understanding the New Zealand Attack.” Features my breakdown on the role memes played in the Christchurch shooter’s manifesto.
- Discussed the history of Friday the 13th with KPFA Radio.
- Discussed the Manson Family murders and legacy with Connecticut Public Radio.
- Other numerous radio spots over the years discussing everything from Gamergate to Net Neutrality on Portland’s XRAY.FM, to meme culture on BBC Trending, and Stranger Things on Viewpoints; guested on SiriusXM Insight to discuss horror for Halloween
Conventions & Panels:
- 2020: Moderated Nightstream Horror Fest’s “Horror Stories” panel with brilliant writers like Tananarive Due.
- 2019: Appeared on a wonderful internet culture panel at NYU’s School of Journalism!
- 2019: Conversation with Snap Lab’s Katie Babineau at the Decoded Future Summit
- 2019: Moderated the “Unearthing Culture” panel at Original Thinkers in Telluride — which took place in a mine!
- 2018: Appeared on Zimbio’s fandom shipping panel at Fandemic Tour Sacramento
- 2018: Was honored to serve as a True/False provocateur
- 2017: Appeared on Drunk Education’s Final Girls panel for Brooklyn Horror Film Fest, repping for Black Christmas!
- 2016: Returned to Comic-Con’s queer horror panel!
- 2016: Did six panels about Harry Potter and fandom at Leviosa in Las Vegas!
- 2016: Organized the SXSW Interactive panel “Flail or Fail: Marketing to Fandom.” Listen to it here!
- 2015: Modded Mad Max panel for Dragon Con’s apocalypse track! Check out the video!
- 2015, Comic-Con, panelist, The Gay Agenda in Horror: Terrifying Subtext. Hear a podcast about it or read a writeup!
- 2015, guest-lectured at Princeton for Prof. Anne Jamison’s English course in fandom history!
- 2014, Geek Girl Con: moderated panels on modern slash fandom and putting fandom skills on your resume!
- 2014, Dragon Con: “Future of Harry Potter,” YA track panel
- 2014: Hosted an evening with Orlando Jones at Tumblr Headquarters!
- 2013: YALSA YA literature symposium, panelist on “Fandom and the Teen World”
- 2013: Hosted a series of panels in partnership with the National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture — one on the DMCA, another on transmedia.
- 2012, Ascendio: moderated “Out of the Closet: Slash in the Third Wave” with Cat Tosenberger.
- 2010, Infinitus: moderated “FTW or Made of Fail: Real Life Issues in Fiction”
- 2007, Phoenix Rising: moderated “Shipping the Velvet” panel on slash shipping featuring Henry Jenkins; edited a short documentary on post-Katrina New Orleans with Erica George.
- 2007, Ikasucon: moderated panel/discussion on BL/yaoi.
- 2003, Nimbus 2003: moderated “Resolved: Can Draco Malfoy Be Redeemed?” and then spontaneously sat in on the slash panel.
Other podcast appearances:
- The Kurt Locker: Overboard (1987). I got to return for another episode with the Cool Breeze posse, this time to discuss Overboard, aka “the quintessential gaslighting rom-com”!
- Chatted with Eye of a Duck about Silence of the Lambs
- Cool Breeze Over the Mountains: I was so happy to appear numerous times on this wonderful podcast celebrating Keanu Reeves, discussing “The Watcher,” “Constantine, ” “The Lake House,” and “Replicas.”
- I discussed my harrowing experience battling a cult in college with the Corpus Delicti podcast!
- I’m Shaping Opinion: “Remembering AIM.” Dropped in to about the demise of AOL Instant Messenger, and the bygone time of intimacy on the internet before social media.
- Empty Frames: “Shredding Banksy.” Had a great chat with Tim and Lance about Banksy and modern art!
- It’s All Fine. Chatted with Allison Stock’s fantastic fandom podcast about my fandoms, first Inception and then The Untamed, in two parts!.
- Fansplaining: “Real Person Fiction.” Hung out with good friends for a chat about one of my favorite modes of fanfic.
- Genuinely Obsessed: Sat down with my Kaleidotrope co-creator EGT for a lovely interview with our fan Sarah about our podcast! <333 It’s in two parts: Part One and Part Two
- Alien Minute: Participated in a wonderful discussion about Bill Paxton’s “squad of ultimate badasses” scene!
- Gobbledygeek: “Two Is the Magic Number.” Joined this fabulous podcast to discuss Hitchcock’s Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt.
- Character Reveal: “All the Fandom with Aja.” I loved this conversation with Dom and Steph about fandom, journalism, and so much more!
- Women in Caskets: “ The Gay Killer Strikes Again (and again).” Discussed my favorite horror trope.
- Fangirl Happy Hour: “Happy Anniversary, Inception!” Had this great chat with my girls Ana and Renay to discuss the most amazing fandom ever. <3
- 2012–2013: co-hosted Fandomspotting with a rotating number of guests. We were awesome. <3 My favorite episodes include the Lizzie Bennet ep, theJames Bond ep, our wake for LiveJournal, and our epic two-part Les Miserables session, Jam ValJean part 1 and part 2
- My Favorite Murder 2018 Halloween Live Show. I wasn’t actually on this episode, but Karen and Georgia built an entire MFM segment around my Satanic Panic explainer, and I got a hilarious and amazing shoutout. Segment starts about 25 minutes in.
- Redwing: I had a bit part as a Southern magical creature caretaker in this stellar noir superhero audio drama!
- 2020: Contributed to A Tumblr Book: Platforms and Cultures from the University of Michigan press
- 2017 roundtable on Tumblr and Fandomfor the Journal of Transformative Works and Cultures!
- 2017 roundtable on the intersection of fandom and the media with Ivan Askwith and Britta Lundin for the Routledge Companion to Media Fandom, edited by Suzanne Scott